Largest Private Schools
Austin's 25 largest Private Schools
There are more than 300 private schools in Austin.
photo By Amy Anderson
(page 1 of 2)
As in all progressive cities, education is important to the people of Austin Texas – and it is an especially important consideration for those relocating to a new city. That emphasis on quality education has translated into a wealth of choices for private and parochial schools – offering more options for parents and children – and Austin Texas is no exception.
According to U.S. Department of Education statistics, private schools have slowly become a more popular alternative – even in the face of recession and curbed spending. Recent figures from a National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) survey found that while enrollment dipped less than 1 percent nationally, it’s still higher than it was five years ago.
Today, the Department of Education estimates that 6 million students attend the country’s 33,000 private schools – about 11 percent of all American elementary and high school students. These Austin private schools run the gamut – from elite preparatory academies that cost more than $20,000 annually to less pricey parochial schools where tuition is often offset by generous donations.
Austin’s Private Schools
Given the city’s accolades as an educated community with lots of brainpower, it’s not surprising that there are more than 300 private schools in Austin Texas and in surrounding Central Texas communities, with enrollment that ranges from pre-K through 12th grade.
The total enrollment for all private schools in the Austin Metro area is more than 11,000, and student tuition ranges from $300 per month to $18,000 per school year. Austin also has an active home school and charter school community.
The following is a list of the 25 largest private schools in the Austin Texas area – including the most recent enrollment figures (as of May 2012), grades served, address, contact information and website, where available.
Austin’s 25 Largest Private Schools
1. Regents School of AustinGrades K-12; Enrollment: 900+ 3230 Travis Country Circle 512-899-8095 www.regents-austin.com
Focus is “a classical and Christian education in the service of both God and man.”
2. St. Andrew’s Episcopal SchoolGrades 1-12; Enrollment: 850 Lower & Middle Schools – Grades 1-8 1112 West 31st Street 512-299-9800 Upper School – Grades 9-12 5901 Southwest Parkway 512-299-9700 www.sasaustin.org
Episcopal school focused on well-rounded education of community service, academics, and social skills.
3. Brentwood Christian SchoolGrades PK-12; Enrollment: 713+ 11908 N. Lamar Blvd. 512-835-5983 www.brentwoodchristian.org
"Christ-centered education” at Church of Christ school.
4. St. Stephen’s Episcopal SchoolGrades 6-12; Enrollment: 665+ 2900 Bunny Run 512-327-1213 www.sstx.org
Rigorous academics/college prep school; sports, fine arts activities; boarding optional.
5. Hyde Park Baptist SchoolGrades K-12; Enrollment: 540+ 3901 Speedway 512-465-8338 www.hpbs.org
Academic excellence, Christian values, college prep curriculum; Affiliated with Hyde Park Baptist Church.
6. Redeemer Lutheran SchoolGrades K-8; Enrollment: 500+ 1500 West Anderson Lane 512-451-6478 www.redeemerschool.net
“Christ-centered environment dedicated to developing the whole child: spiritually, intellectually, physically, emotionally, socially.”
7. Hill Country Christian School of AustinGrades K-12; Enrollment: 500+ 12124 RR 620 North 512-331-7036 www.hillcountrychristianschool.org
Christ-centered college prep school with “classical teaching methodology.”
8. Round Rock Christian AcademyGrades PK-12; Enrollment: 500+ 301 N. Lake Creek Drive 512-255-4491 (Main office); 512-716-1354 (Secondary office) www.rrca-tx.org
Curriculum includes chapel, Bible study, music, fine arts, learning centers and creative play.
9. Holy Family Catholic SchoolGrades PK-8; Enrollment: 450+ 9400 Neenah Avenue 512-246-4455 www.holyfamilycs.org
Catholic, Christ-centered school with a “nurturing environment that fosters the growth of the whole child.”
10. St. Theresa’s SchoolGrades PK-8; Enrollment: 425+ 4311 Small Drive 512-451-7105 www.st-theresa.org
School’s mission is to “develop elementary/middle school students to their full potential by educating them in a Catholic and academically excellent environment.”
11. St. Gabriel’s Catholic SchoolGrades PK-8; Enrollment: 400+ 2500 Wimberly Lane 512-327-7755 www.sgs-austin.org
St. Gabriel’s Catholic School “celebrates the individuality of each child and cultivates virtue, excellence, leadership, and service.”
12. St. Michael’s Catholic AcademyGrades 9-12; Enrollment: 400 3000 Barton Creek Blvd. 512-328-2323 www.smca.com
College prep school; “academic excellence combined with faith formation.”
13. Trinity Episcopal SchoolGrades K-8; Enrollment: 400 3901 Bee Cave Road 512-472-9525 www.trinitykids.com
A school in which students are “engaged spiritually, physically, intellectually, and academically;” daily chapel services.
Did you like what you read here? Order your FREE copy of Austin Relocation Guide!
Edit ModuleShow Tags